This is a really good question and was actually the subject of a support ticket. I scratched my own head for a second and realized the solution was much easier than I thought.
What you need:
- A virtual private server running Windows or Linux
- A web server such as Apache, IIS, nginx, Lighttpd, etc.
- Enough disk space for the operating system and video files
- Enough bandwidth for your video files
Install the operating system
This is relatively easy and I have to assume everyone has done this as there is nothing specific or special you need to install on your operating system except make sure it connects online.
Install the web server
For Apache, it’s relatively easy with most Linux operating systems.
Apache download page – Apache for Windows
The GPLPV package is a driver for Microsoft Windows, which allows Windows systems virtualised with Xen (such as VPS6.NET’s) access to the network and block drivers of the Xen dom0. These drivers provide a significant performance and reliability gain over the standard devices emulated by Xen, and are recommended for anyone using our Windows VPS service.
Installation of the package is simple, and has no known compatibility issues with any our systems.
- From the desktop of your Windows VPS, download the file matching your system:
- Run the .msi file and follow the on-screen directions to complete installation.
- Check the Device Manager for “Xen Net Device Driver” and “Xen Block Device Driver”, which indicate a successful installation.
- Reboot the VPS, either from within Windows or from SolusVM.
Your system should now experience enhanced network and disk speeds!
This article is also available in the VPS6.NET Knowledgebase: https://vps6.net/my/knowledgebase/68/How-to-Install-GPLPV-PV-on-HVM-Drivers-on-Windows-Server-2008-Systems.html